The goal of the training is to transfer to participants the knowledge and technical capacity on how to convert dry biomass in to char powder that can be used in the making of quality charcoal briquettes.
There are several key objectives to the training:
- Lean to identify locally available biomass that can be used in the charring process
- Filling the kiln properly and pyroloyzing the dry biomass to produce quality char powder
- Safety in the pyrolyzing process
- Properly handling the char powder when it is still hot to ensure it does not turn to ash.
- Sifting the char powder to remove contamination and ensuring it is the right consistency for briquetting
- Mixing the binder with the char powder
- Operation of the briquette machine
- Drying the briquettes
- Packaging and storage
- How to use the briquettes
- Marketing and promotion of charcoal briquettes.
Participants will have the technical capacity to produce char powder, manufacture charcoal briquettes, have an understanding of basic inventory and accounting practices and an understanding of marketing strategies. They will also have an understanding of the socio-economic, health and environmental benefits of the briquettes and the improved cook stoves.